I’ve officially been recovering from my operation and resting. Unofficially, I’ve been watching a lot of Sex and the City and eating chocolate.
The first week I could barely do anything for myself. My mum, officially awesome, took some time off from work to help me out for the first few days then worked half days so she could be here in the afternoon.
She went back to work last week and I had to fend for myself. My meals were all pre-prepared (seriously, how awesome my mum is), I was now able to run a bath by myself and potter around the place.
Here are some things I have learned during my recovery:
1) Daytime tv is both awful and incredible. I became ridiculously addicted to a show about a priest who solves crime in 1940s England. It was so bad and cheesy, I absolutely loved it! I even tweeted about it one day and ended up having a weird conversation with one of the actors. Which I loved, obviously.
2) Get Well cards are so sweet. Especially when Best Friend, a boy and therefore genetically rubbish at card-giving, sends one in his atrocious handwriting having facebooked my brother to find out what my address is.
3) I have eaten more grapes during the past three weeks than all of 2012.
4) Trashy magazines are perfect reading for daily salt baths.
5) People who visit will bring you the weirdest assortment of gifts ever. In total I’ve received 5 bunches of grapes, 6 large bars of chocolate, a box of chocolates, magazines, a body polisher, a bunch of flowers, a decorative pillow, a two-handled mug, a bag of personalised coffee, a batch of homemade cookies, a Disney Princess egg and Stuart Little on dvd.
6) I love the people who visit. It’s been tricky since we had a bout of snow which screwed up traffic and particularly caused problems since I live at the top of a hill. But people from church have been very good coming to visit and some of my friends have popped over to see how I am. My Toyboy was nice enough to help me eat my chocolate while watching the show about the priest and looking up endometriosis on my new laptop. Two friends from uni, scuppered a week ago by the weather, finally made it up on Sunday and we ate a lot of cake and analysed the many philosophical themes in the movie Magic Mike.
7) I am in danger of getting far too involved in Sex and the City. I got the boxset for Christmas and, although I’ve seen them all before, I am now finding myself yelling at Carrie on a frequent basis.
8) A guy who started pursuing me before Christmas has dropped off the face of the earth. After bumping into him at graduation, he then started commenting on facebook and kept sending me messages until we swapped numbers. Then relentless texting followed. Then he asked me out for coffee. Three times he cancelled our plans at the last minute and the last time didn’t even bother to reschedule. He hasn’t been in touch since before I went into hospital. So not worth it.
9) A friend has really disappointed me…but that’s a whole other story for another time.
10) I’ve been busy tapping away at my keyboard lately, telling my endo story to others and hopefully appearing on other blogs. In my role as the face of chronic pain, I’ve also been asked to be interviewed for a broadcast series on chronic pain sufferers and their experiences! I don’t know many details at the mo, but it’s really quite exciting to be involved raising awareness!!